Sunday, July 25, 2010

Going Home

I'm heading to St. Louis to visit my Dad this week. He turns 89 on Tuesday and I'm so blessed to be celebrating another birthday with him.

Thanks to Facebook, I recently got back in touch with my childhood BFF Lisa. We've always traded Christmas cards but it's been at least ten years since we last saw each other. We're giddy as schoolgirls with plans to see each other tomorrow. I doubt we get much sleep as we have so much catching up to do.

Growing up, I lived in one home and attended one church. Since leaving home, I've lived in 13 different homes and attended five churches. Sigh. While I wouldn't change a thing (well, there were those two years between age 22 and 24...) I miss the stability of my childhood home and church. Lisa is a tie to both and I'm so excited to "go home".

I should mention Terry and I have lived in our current home for 14 years and I doubt I'll be looking for a new church any time soon. Contented sigh. I am home, and I'm looking forward to visiting my childhood home. God is so good.

2 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

I can't wait to hear about your visit with your bff!

Carol in Oregon said...

First off, Happy Birthday to "the daddy" (as they say in Africa). 89!
Wow.

Very excited about reconnecting with Lisa. Right before I went to Chicago, a group of friends (there are six of us) found each other. It was much like you with Lisa: we all grew up in the same home and went to the same church our entire childhood. Our families know each other well.

Somehow, we lost touch. In many ways, we went different ways. And every single one of us moved away.

In one weekend, our renewed friendships coalesced. It was a wonderful, wonderful thing. We're working on details so we can have a girlfriends weekend together. From England, Oregon, Texas, Arizona, Illinois and Georgia we plan to come together, have a few days and nights uninterrupted to talk and talk and talk.

I'm so excited.

Giddy as schoolgirls is how you put it! Oh yeah!