Thursday, July 29, 2010

Best Friends Forever

My visit with Lisa, my teenage best friend, went far too quickly and better than I could ever describe. We describe ourselves now as twins separated at age 25 and reunited 25 years later to discover we have made many of the same choices and share more in common than we could have dreamed. We talked non-stop from the time I hit her driveway, grudgingly gave way to sleep around 3:00 a.m. and awakened to continue talking until I forced myself to drive away to take my Dad for his birthday lunch.

Can you believe I forgot to take pictures??? Don't worry, there will be another BFF reunion soon and I WILL take pictures.

Lisa's home is lovely and a reflection of her. She isn't obsessed with decorating it. She lives in it! Like me, she has an obsessive reluctance to hire a housekeeper. Unlike me, she has seven bathrooms to clean!!! (I would hire a housekeeper if my house were as big as hers.) Her husband David cooked dinner for us and chuckled in amusement, I think, at how long and hard we could talk without stopping for breath. He grew up in the same church we did but he is eight years older, between my two brothers in age, so I didn't know him much growing up. I vaguely remember him teaching our class in Vacation Bible School one summer when he was home from college. Lisa and I repeatedly remarked about the similarity in our husbands. Mine is an accountant, hers is a tax attorney. Hers plans vacations around tax filing deadlines; so does mine. She dislikes office parties as much as I do, perhaps more so because I do enjoy Terry's co-workers. Both our husbands are...ahem...more fastidious than we are.

Lisa has two grandchildren, her son's children: a five-year old boy and a one year-old girl. Her husband David is an elder in their church (our childhood church) and their family is all actively involved in it. We spent quite a bit of time catching up on all the people I knew so well growing up; many I haven't thought of in years. This church is the Wendell Berry "membership" of my youth.

Lisa's daughter who is Cassie's age attends the college where Lisa and I roomed together our freshman year. Her daughter is a very hard-working pre-med student who loves to travel on medical missions around the world. Lisa's youngest daughter is starting high school this year and eavesdropped on our early conversations the other night. She is intensely curious about what her mother was like at her age. Oh, the stories I could tell! Heh heh.

Who can say why we let so many years pass between connections with dear friends?? I know I won't let this BFF out of my life again. We are both giddy at the happiness our renewed relationship brings.


There is a friend who sticks closer than a (sister).
Provers 18:24

Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies.
Aristotle

It takes a long time to grow an old friend.
John Leonard

A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.
Elbert Hubbard

1 comment:

Carol in Oregon said...

Oh Sandy! I'm so happy for you. This is so much fun.

This church is the Wendell Berry "membership" of my youth. (Happy sigh)

Thanks for the update.